Today I have a delicious Roasted Turkey Leg with veggies recipe for you. We used to have this often during my childhood and last week turkey legs were discounted in the store so I thought it was time to go back and play a bit with different recipes.
This is a simple recipe actually. It doesn’t require a lot of attention, but requires a bit of marinating, which is something I don’t usually do. You can use your favorite veggies instead of the celery-carrot-brussels sprouts combo.
Now, on to the recipe – and you can find the photos below.
- For a 5lb turkey leg:
- juice of 2 lemons
- 2 tablespoons barbecue sauce
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 3 onions, sliced
- 10 garlic cloves
- 4 celery stalks
- 4 medium carrots
- 20 brussels sprouts
- In a bowl, combine the lemon juice, sauces and seasonings.
- To prepare the meat, make some cuts with a sharp knife on both sides of the leg.
- Pour the marinade on top of it, cover with plastic wrap and let it marinate for at least 4 hours, flipping the leg to the other side half way through.
- Cover the bottom of an oven tray with the onions, garlic, celery, carrots and brussels sprouts and season to taste. I only added a drizzle of olive oil, pinch of salt and black pepper.
- Put the turkey leg on top of the veggies, with the skin side down. Drizzle with 3/4 of the marinade, cover with aluminum foil and put in the oven at 500F (260ºC) for 60 minutes.
- Take the tray out of the oven, flip the turkey leg skin side up and pour the rest of the marinade.
- Put back in the oven for at least 1 hour and a half or until it's fully cooked. Mine took 2h45m total but it really depends on the size of the leg.
When you cook a whole turkey leg, you know you’re bound to have a lot of leftovers. And so did I. This was enough for 2 meals for both of us and the leftovers were used in two really good meals that I’m planning on showing you next. One is using ramen noodles and the other one is a pizza. =)
I hope you enjoyed this recipe and that it was easy enough to make you want to try it. I always love cooking big chunks of meat or fish because that means leftovers! And leftovers make the best dishes =) eheh
See you tomorrow!