Where have I been? Almost 10 days off the grid.

Hi there! I missed you! =)

This won’t be an in-depth post, but let’s start from the beginning.

My dad started having some health issues a few years ago – heart related. It’s not uncommon to receive a call from my mom – usually from her cell to our home phone, that’s how I immediately know something happened – telling us that she’s at the hospital with my dad. In the past two years or so, that is something that happens but resolves itself after a few hours in the hospital.

On November 27, almost two weeks ago, my mom called me telling that she had to take my dad to the emergency room due to what we suspected was an atrial fibrillation. The doctors did some tests and he was sent home, feeling like nothing happened {like most of the times he has to go to the ER}.

He then spent the rest of the day and the next day feeling good and normal.

Right before dinner, on Nov 28 – my dad lost control of his right hand and felt extremely lightheaded. An ambulance was called and there they went, once again to the hospital. Got the phone call, once again.

But this time, it was different. He spent a few hours there, being tested, but was sent home. Neurological exams were done, but they were normal, so the doctor wasn’t worried.

–This is the point of the post where I need to remind you that my college and masters degree is in Psychomotor Rehabilitation. Even though I specialized in early intervention, I also learned and worked with people that needed rehabilitation after a stroke or any brain related damage.–

I called my sister in the States to let her know and I also told my mom that I thought it was a stroke.

The next day, Friday Nov 29, wasn’t normal, at all. My dad kept loosing control of his hand and started showing dysgraphia. He called the doctor and the doctor told him to go to the hospital if it got worse during the day; if not, to meet him on Saturday morning back in the hospital for more testing.

Saturday 30… My parents got there, he was tested, and the CT Scan confirmed the stroke. Actually, it was a Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA).

I got the call. One hour after the CT scan, I was on the road, with my dog, and enough luggage for what I already knew would be at least one week. My dad had been hospitalized by then and I wanted to be there in time for the visiting hours. I was always safe, but the highway speed limits weren’t respected. Sorry.

I got there in time, got to see my dad and just under a week later, this past Friday December 6, he was sent home.

He’s doing so much better than we initially thought he would. The brain’s plasticity is amazing. AMAZING. I always knew that, but after watching my dad recover like he did in just under a week… Wow.

He’s back to his normal routine, almost like nothing happened. Actually, at this very instant he’s at his office, working with my mom, and probably already stressing out again.

During the week that he was in the hospital, every single person that asked about him, told us that he needed to try and stress less. Try and work less. Try and worry less. Everyone that knows him, also knows this is something that doesn’t come easy for him.

I’m going home in a few days. I’m thankful for my dad’s current health, but so worried about his future health. I guess that’s a part of having a loving family, right?

In the meantime, I’ll try to post a bit more and we only have one thing to do {please read in the voice of the great Ellen}:


(image credit)

Sofia @ Something on Everything

I'm a 32 year old Portuguese Psychomotricist / Early Intervention Specialist that loves to write about everything! Here you'll find a lot of different and great topics, but lately I've been loving to write about Food, Fitness and DIY! Hope you enjoy it and follow me on a journey to a better self! Aside from the social media links on the top of the page, you can also connect with Sofia Linha on:Google+

2 thoughts on “Where have I been? Almost 10 days off the grid.

Comments are closed.