I’ve been craving something-berry for a few days now. Specially since every time I open my freezer, I see those amazing bags of frozen fruit. =) Today I had some time after dinner, so I made us berry buttermilk muffins.
I don’t have a good muffin recipe in my book, so I browsed my favorite recipe website – AllRecipes.com – and found out a great Basic Buttermilk Muffins recipe. The person that shared this recipe wrote that it was a good basic recipe, that you could add up to 1 cup of your favorite ingredient – fruit, nuts, so on. I’m gonna post here the recipe, but you can click on the link above to see photos and reviews.
– 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
– 1/2 cup white sugar
– 1 teaspoon baking soda
– 2 teaspoons baking powder
– 1/2 teaspoon salt
– 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
– 1/4 cup butter, melted
– 1 egg, lightly beaten
– 1 cup buttermilk (I used the dry mix)
– 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
– 1 1/2 cups of frozen berries
– Preheat an oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease 12 muffin cups, or line with paper muffin liners.
– Sift together the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg. In a separate bowl, whisk together the melted butter, egg, buttermilk (mine was 1 packet dry mix in 1 cup of water), and vanilla.
– Pour the buttermilk mixture into the dry ingredients and stir just until mixed (the batter will not be smooth). Gently stir in the frozen berries.
– Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin tins; fill the cups almost to the top. Bake in the preheated oven until golden and the tops spring back when lightly pressed, about 18 minutes.
Mine took about 15 minutes. After that I let them cool a bit in the pan, for about 5 minutes and then transferred them to a wire rack and let cool overnight. They were pretty and golden-y brown, mixed with all the berries colors. Love it! My boyfriend said the colors reminded him of Walking Dead. -_-
I have to say that I really like this recipe. It’s not overly sweet, and the fruit makes it taste even better. It’s a really good breakfast or snack option. Next time I’m gonna try to make them with even less sugar. =) We shall see how it goes.